Livin’ La Vida Local Breakfast Tacos
Recipe by: Sara Parsons, Nutrition and Culinary Intern, Slow Food Denver
6 local* corn tortillas, street taco style (small)
10 local* eggs
1 local* bell pepper, chopped
1 Cup local* cherry tomatoes, quartered
½ local* chili pepper, chopped
½ local* onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons cooking oil (avocado or coconut)
(Optional Ingredients: 2-3 Tablespoons local cheddar or jack cheese, shredded OR 3 teaspoons
1. In a large pan, bring approximately 2 Tablespoons cooking oil (I recommend either
avocado or coconut oil) to medium heat. Transfer all chopped vegetables and minced
garlic to pan. Add all seasonings (except for cheese or nutritional yeast, if using) and
sauté for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, crack all eggs and whisk until well combined.
3. Pour the whisked eggs over the sautéed vegetables and gently fold with a spatula until the
eggs are incorporated with the vegetables. Reduce heat to a medium-low.
4. Continue to cook, stirring every so often to scramble the eggs and prevent sticking.
5. If you would like to add some local cheese (or nutritional yeast), fold the shredded cheese
into the egg mixture.
6. Once the eggs are scrambled remove the pan from the heat.
7. The tortillas may be served as is or you may warm them in the oven prior to serving by
placing them on an oiled baking sheet and warming them in the oven at 200 degrees for
8. Serve by spooning approximately ¼ to a 1/3 Cup of the egg and vegetable mixture over
each tortilla. You may garnish the tacos with additional shredded local cheese, your
favorite local salsa or local hot sauce. Enjoy!