If you are a parent looking to bring this program to your child’s school or a faculty member hoping to expand your school’s programs, please fill out our New School Sign Up form and a member of the Slow Food Denver team will get back to you shortly!
Frequently Asked Questions
Cooking from the Garden After-School Enrichment Program
Each Cooking from the Garden Class provides:
- An experienced and passionate Instructor. Each of our instructors pass a background check prior to beginning our program.
- All necessary supplies for a fun and engaging class, including produce and food used in class.
- Notebooks and stickers for students to use throughout the program.
- Healthy and tasty recipes, engaging activities, lesson plans and more based off of Slow Food USA’s school garden curriculum
- School garden support
- A safe learning environment to foster exploratory cooking that empowers students to follow their intuition and make dishes based on their taste preferences
A space large enough to fit 15 students comfortably that has access to a sink and an outlet.
Our class sizes range between 10-15 students per class.
The program incorporates cooking and gardening through shared class time in the classroom and outdoors in the school garden. As our classes run seasonally, warmer months focus on garden maintenance, activities, planting and harvesting. The cooking portion of class utilizes produce grown from the garden (if available). On colder days a seasonal cooking class maintains connection to the garden through indoor garden activities and planning.
Absolutely! Even without a garden, classes will focus on seasonality and helping students develop an understanding of where their food comes from.
Program cost is $16 per student per class. However, this price may increase if there is a facilities fee at your school.
Cooking from the Garden is a seasonal program. Each season the program runs between 6-12 weeks, based on school preference.
Within a season, each class ranges between 60-75 minutes, based on school preference.
Yes! We have a handful of schools that offer the class multiple days a week.
Cooking from the Garden includes grades Kindergarten through 8th grade. Classes are divided by age groups K-3, 3-5, and 6-8 to provide a safe environment and set each student up for success.